Monday, July 27, 2009

Freezer Meals

My favorite book for the past couple of weeks:
Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead I don't typically use cookbooks, as I'm usually on allrecipes.com instead, but this one really works for me. The author gives recipes that work beautifully for freezing in bulk and either reheating and serving, or doing just a little bit of prep and cooking on the day you serve it.

Some of the recipes I'll be using for camping (ahem, Burning Man) because they are simply reheated on the day you serve them include:
* Meatballs
* Cottage Pie
* French Steak
* Rocky Mountain Beef Brisket with Barbecue Sauce
Can you tell I'm having a red meat fixation right now? YUM!

The book is very easy to read and the instructions are clear and simple. She gives you the original recipe (6-10 servings), then what the proportions would be if it was x2, x4, or x6. I'm finding it comes in handy to buy meat or veggies in bulk when they go on sale, because then I can chop, prep, and put them into a meal rather than just freeze them uncooked in multiple packages, putting off the preparation until later. It has also been allowing me to have more time with my family at night, instead of being stuck in the kitchen, because all I have to do is defrost and reheat most of the meals. And they're still delicious! Anyway, *love* the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment