Sunday, February 20, 2011

MSE, meet MBA

I've made a major decision. The past week has been pretty rough because our financial troubles don't seem to be lightening up at all, and things just in fact keep getting worse. My degree in Social Science, shockingly enough, doesn't seem to be of much use while job hunting during a recession. My experience, working for a decade in nonprofits and schools, is also worth a whole lot nothing out in the real world. I need something more solid, more business-oriented, more marketable in order to compete with the rest of the job-seekers and actually get hired. So, in order to do that, I've decided to continue my education and go for my MBA (Master of Business Administration), possibly with a concentration in Human Resources. It'll take 1 1/2 to 2 years to finish the program online with Kaplan University, but at least I know that at the end of that time I'll be a much more marketable job candidate. And it'll look good in my current job search, too, that I'm pursuing higher education in the business field. At least, I hope it will! I should know within the next few days whether or not I'm approved, and how much of a loan I can get. The only way I can actually do it is with a loan, so hopefully we get good news next week.

2 comments:

  1. The field of health care management is growing and will only continue to do so, with the coming changes in health care funding and programming. An MBA would be very useful in that area. I think going back to school is a smart move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! Kaplan actually offers an MBA with a specialization in Health Care Administration, which is another option besides Human Resources.... still haven't made up my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete