Monday, November 21, 2011

Nightmare.

Ethan woke up crying out in terror at 2:40 a.m. I ran into his room and knelt next to his bed, stroking his back and murmuring comforting words while he cried, begging me to get rid of the bugs. I assured him there were no bugs on him, and he said "No, mommy! The bugs are on daddy!" I told him daddy was asleep in bed and he said, again, "NO, mommy! Daddy fell down on the bed and now he's all red and covered with bugs!" That sent a shiver up my spine. What a terrifying image to have in his little head! It took him about 45 minutes to fall asleep again... and most of that time I spent wrapped up in his arms while he tried to calm down. Poor thing. :(

4 comments:

  1. Hey there....sorry to hear about Ethan's tramatic dream. I have a question. Did you give him Triaminic syrup before bedtime...or anything like that? Johnny had a similar reaction to a cough syrup when he was about 4 years old. It was the scariest thing I've seen with a child. He was SO scared..he said he saw a big rolling boulder(like in Indiana Jones)that was coming toward him. He would let us comfort him and then the next second he was pushing us away like he was afraid of us. Then he would run away in the room. This was so scary. I don't think I EVER gave him that syrup ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found an article on teens using cough medicine to get high! http://www.micheleborba.com/blog/2010/02/11/michele-borba-teen-cough-medicine-abuse-on-rise-signs-to-look-for-and-how-to-protect-our-kids/

    "Although Dextromethorphan–or DXM–(the ingredient found in most popular nonprescription cold and cough medicines) can be safely taken in 15 to 30 milligram doses, when taken in significant doses can produce euphoric highs and even hallucinations."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy! I never thought of the whole connection to cough medicine and possible side effects... Ethan wasn't taking any medicine this past week, but I will definitely be sure to keep an eye on this in the future. Thank you for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete