Thursday, January 6, 2011

Desire = Suffering?

I'm not sure, but I may need to become slightly more Buddhist than I am now. I need to learn how to not want so much... to eliminate desire and erase need, so that I can transcend that part of me that spends so much time suffering because it is always dissatisfied.

"In Buddhism, desire and ignorance lie at the root of suffering. By desire, Buddhists refer to craving pleasure, material goods, and immortality, all of which are wants that can never be satisfied. As a result, desiring them can only bring suffering. Ignorance, in comparison, relates to not seeing the world as it actually is. Without the capacity for mental concentration and insight, Buddhism explains, one's mind is left undeveloped, unable to grasp the true nature of things. Vices, such as greed, envy, hatred and anger, derive from this ignorance." Thank you, PBS, for making this concept a little more relatable.
want_less
Want Less Vine - Pink Mini Button - CafePress

No comments:

Post a Comment