Monday, March 22, 2010

Interview Time (Machine)

Interviews are tough. They really bring out your deepest fears about looking less than intelligent or competent and throw them right up front for your enjoyment. They force you to return to old college days of preparation, studying, memorization, and repetition so that you aren't left gasping in silence when the panel asks a complex, three-part question analyzing your work history and theories of customer service. They subject you to intense scrutiny about your past, present, and even future, and then expect you to maintain enough lucidity and eloquence to impress the entire panel with your reasoned (and yet enlightening) responses.

interview_timemachine

Or maybe they are just trying to figure out if you're a good fit, and I'm just a little over-worked because I've been through a few really tough interviews and do not look forward to the one coming up in just one week. The woman who called me to set it up told me up front that I should expect to be in the interview for at least one and a half hours, which will be the longest amount of time I've ever been interviewed. No pressure! I'm already starting to get prepared. I'm looking up similar jobs, checking the background of the agency, researching the city for services that might be connected to this position, and so on. This week is going to be crunch time, because I really, really, really want this job. And I've got a feeling about it, too... we'll see if my hunch is correct in about two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment