Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tales to Tell

One of my favorite books: The Outspoken Princess and the Gentle Knight
outspokenprincess
It has been on my mind a lot lately... Possibly because Ethan loves books so much, and I have been thinking about getting him some actual stories rather than just the one-word picture books we've had around the house. There is much to love in this book, which I would use to enhance rather than replace a collection of fairy tales.

The thing I love about it is that it turns traditional fairy tales on their heads, and brings out some of the quirkiest characters we've been privileged to know. Petronella takes on the role of the third son-- er, daughter-- and has an amazing adventure that breaks all the rules. The Wrestling Princess is just that, and yet manages to find her true love anyway! The Dark Princess is sweet and sad and makes me cry every time I read it. (Is that a good thing?) For some reason, it reminds me of Arabian Nights
Arabian_nights
It's an exceptionally well-made miniseries that showcases several of the famous stories from A Thousand and One Nights by Sir Richard Burton, stories about Aladdin and Ali Baba and many other great characters. The special effects are outstanding and the acting is generally excellent, and I love the way that Scheherezade's tales are later used by Schahriar to find solutions to real-world problems he is facing. Anyway, when you've got four hours or so to spend, watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment