Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Commute

So, it looks like I'll be starting off my job with a monster commute. Although eventually I'll be based in Livermore, for now I will start my training at the main center in Oakland. That's right, Oakland. Hey, at least it's not over the Bridge, right? But this is the reality of the commute I'll drive with thousands of other people every morning and evening:

Driving directions to Oakland, CA
81.4 mi – about 1 hour 23 mins
(up to 1 hour 50 mins in traffic)


View Larger Map

I can tell right now that I'm going to hate that commute. Hopefully Joel gets work soon and we can find a place that's affordable in the Livermore or Pleasanton area. I just can't see doing this for too long... at this point, I will be leaving the house by 6 AM, driving 1.5-2 hours through the morning rush to Oakland, working eight hours, then driving back another two hours during the worst traffic slot possible. By the time I get home, it'll be 7:00-ish, which means I'll see my son for approximately half an hour before it's time for him to go to bed. I'll eat dinner, crash, and start the whole cycle again the next day. Because we don't have daycare yet (and may not be able to afford it), Joel will probably end up scheduling computer jobs for when I get home from work, so I will see him less and less as well. Sounds highly appealing, doesn't it?

:(

I'm sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment